This is an exciting and unique opportunity for an ambitious recent PhD graduate or post-doctoral data scientist with the ability and confidence to manage a strategically important Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project with Madgex Limited. As a market leader in career technology, Madgex develops software to help brands grow their recruitment businesses and work with the world’s leading media brands and organisations to help unlock their audience value.
In recent years, the competition in the recruitment market has intensified, and there is urgent demand for innovation in career technology and software platform development in order to maintain the competitive edge. Facing such a challenge, this KTP project creates an exciting opportunity for you to — from an individual professional development point of view — become part of the new generation of experts in the technology innovation of recruitment market and business.
The University of Manchester and Madgex are looking to recruit a data scientist with the expertise in Natural Language Processing (NLP), Text Mining, Machine Learning, and high proficiency in programming with Python to undertake this 24-month project. The overall aim of which is to develop, embed and exploit novel machine-learning and text-mining methods and tools that deliver an innovative and sector-leading recruitment offering to job seekers and recruiters.
The position will provide you with a unique opportunity to apply state-of-the-art NLP, text mining and machine learning techniques and methods to develop the cutting-edge technologies which have a high level of commercial applicability. You will play a vital role in introducing new NLP, Text Mining and computational techniques to support strategically important future business development.
This post is funded through a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) award, a UK Government scheme intended to promote sustained and mutually beneficial relationships between universities and industry.
Based at Madgex Corporate HQ in the city centre of Brighton, the successful candidate will work directly with supervisors from both the University and Madgex and will use the facilities and resources of both organisations.
The School is committed to promoting equality and diversity, including the Athena SWAN charter for promoting women’s careers in STEMM subjects (science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine) in higher education. The School holds a Bronze Award for their commitment to the representation of women in the workplace and we particularly welcome applications from women for this post. Appointment will always be made on merit. For further information, please visit: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/connect/jobs/equality-diversity/awards/athena-swan/
In a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment, the Data Scientist will be responsible for the method and algorithm development based on CV and other types of data analysis by utilising ontology, text mining and machine learning techniques. Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is Europe’s leading programme helping businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity through the better use of knowledge, technology and skills that reside within the UK knowledge base. Throughout the KTP you will;
- Receive a competitive salary
- Gain excellent experience of managing a high-profile project
- Receive formal management training
- Have access to a £4000 professional development and training budget
- Receive mentoring and support from academic staff and industry professionals
Further information on KTP, including case studies, can be found at; http://www.manchester.ac.uk/collaborate/business-e…
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities or Duties
- Manage the project independently, including project planning, running monthly project meetings and liaising with the academic team
- Acquire background knowledge for the project and establish contact with key industry stakeholders to understand the market needs, analyse the requirements, and identify commercial opportunities
- Develop and apply knowledge and experience of ontology, text mining and machine learning techniques to design/select appropriate analytics models and develop/implement these algorithms based on the available data set and requirements
- Identify and carry out case studies, develop simulation scenarios for the market studies
- Documentation and present the results/findings both internally and externally through reports, charts, tables, slide presentations, and publications using ontology, text mining, and machine learning methods as are appropriate to the objectives
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant Madgex development team and business units to facilitate the product development and commercialisation of the project outcomes
- Deal with problems which may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines
- PhD degree in Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, or a related engineering/science degree
- Experience in Ontology, Natural Language Processing/Text Mining, Machine Learning
- Experience of algorithm and software development, documentation and deployment
- High proficiency in programming with Python
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to liaise confidently and effectively with a range of individuals
- Flexible approach to dealing with research problems as they arise
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Ability to present in both written and oral publications
- Able to prioritise workload and manage time, able to work to tight deadlines
- Strong journal publication record
- Knowledge of and experience in rule-based text mining, using relevant environments (e.g. GATE, NLTK)
- Knowledge of and experience in data-driven text mining, using a variety of machine learning approaches (e.g. SVMs, CRFs, ANNs) and environments
- Experience in machine learning methods applied to free-text data
Working at Madgex, you will join a community. We are a friendly bunch with passion, ambition and we thrive on team work, learning & development and our regular social gatherings. As an equally important member of our team you will be rewarded with:
- Free Food Fridays including salad, cake and our infamous Deli Day
- Team socials – we have had everything from BBQs to our annual birthday bash
- We are committed to your personal career growth and we will provide you with learning and development resources
- A dedicated Buddy in your first week alongside a full induction schedule, giving you the chance to meet the whole Madgex family.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Madgex is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Employees and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation (Protected Characteristics).
Please Apply for this role via the University of Manchester’s website: